Thames Ironworks
From rivet to rivet: the club that rose from the shipyard.
Thames Ironworks Football Club was the original name of West Ham United, founded in 1895 by workers at the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company in Canning Town, East London. The club began as a works team, grinding through the London League and later the Southern League, before being reborn as West Ham United in 1900. It represents the foundational era of the club, rooted in the industrial working-class community that shaped its identity — a gritty, sweat-soaked beginning that still echoes in every claret and blue shirt today.
- Founded
- 1895
- Founder
- Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company workers
- Original Name
- Thames Ironworks F.C.
- First Manager
- Arnold Hills (club president) and players
- Home Ground
- Memorial Grounds, Canning Town
- Key Figure
- Arnold Hills (company owner and patron)
Lore & Background
Thames Ironworks FC was born from the grit of East London's industrial heart. Workers at the Thames Ironworks shipyard, led by foreman Dave Taylor and with the backing of company owner Arnold Hills, formed the team to foster camaraderie and pride. They played their first match on September 7, 1895, against the Royal Ordnance Corps, winning 1-0. The club quickly became a symbol of the community, with players drawn from the yard and local talent, embodying the 'Iron' spirit of resilience and hard work.
In Their Own Story
The fog clung to the Thames like a wet wool blanket as the shipyard whistle blared, calling men from the roar of the rivet and the sting of the forge. Dave Taylor gathered the lads on the churned-up pitch at Hermit Road, their boots caked in iron dust, lungs still thick with coal smoke. Arnold Hills stood at the sideline, a silhouette against the steam and steel, watching his workers turn from laborers into fighters. They played not for glory, but for the pride of East London — a team forged in the fires of industry, where every tackle was a hammer blow and every goal a victory for the working man, hard-won and never forgotten.
Reader's Guide
In 1895, the Thames Ironworks shipyard in Canning Town was a hive of industry, and its workers sought recreation. Led by foreman Dave Taylor, they formed a football club with the support of company owner Arnold Hills. The team played its first season in the London League, then moved to the Southern League in 1896. The club's early years were marked by financial struggles and a nomadic existence, playing at various grounds including Hermit Road and the Memorial Grounds, built to honor workers lost in a shipyard accident. In 1900, the club was disbanded and re-formed as West Ham United, a name that would carry the 'Iron' legacy forward. This era established the club's deep community roots, its blue and claret colors (adopted from the shipyard's racing colors), and its reputation as a club of the people.
Did You Know?
- The club's first ever match was a 1-0 win over Royal Ordnance Corps on September 7, 1895.
- Thames Ironworks FC played in a light blue and white kit before adopting claret and blue in 1899.
- The Memorial Grounds, built in 1897, was named to commemorate workers who died in a shipyard explosion.
- Arnold Hills, the company owner, was also a noted amateur athlete and football pioneer.
More in Club History
Elsewhere in the West Ham United universe
Spotted an error? Know more?
This is a living reference — every entry is fact-audited, and reader corrections feed straight into our audit queue. Suggest an edit · See this site's audit record
